Celcom Axiata Berhad is a renowned provider of SIM cards in Malaysia, prompting many to wonder how activation works. The carrier covers 93% of the population in Malaysia with 3G and 90% with their 4G/LTE network and offers prepaid and postpaid SIM cards to over 9.1 million subscribers in 2022. Furthermore, they make it easy for citizens to use their Army, Policy, or MyKad ID. Unlike in other countries, foreigners can show their iKad, passport, or Ambassador ID to sign up. Plus, the carrier lets users pick an available phone number or even come up with one via the Celcom Mobile Platinum plan. Now, let’s get into how to activate a Celcom SIM card.
1. Visit a Celcom store for prepaid or postpaid SIM activation
We know this may not be an option for everyone in this technologically advanced country in Southeast Asia, but it works nonetheless. Instead of ordering the SIM card, waiting for it to arrive at your address, and using the mobile app, you can: Head over to the Celcom Store Locator page. You now have two options:
- Allow the browser to scan your current location. Check the stores nearby marked with blue numbered pins.
- Enter the town, state, landmark, or postcode, or use filters such as “Service Type” and “Store Type” to find the nearest establishment that can complete your activation.
Provide the documents we mentioned in the introduction and be physically present (you can’t register or activate a SIM in other people’s names). Both foreigners and residents must be at least 18 years old, and foreign users may have to pay extra fees. At the time of writing, voice plans require an MYR500 deposit while data ones only need MYR100. Be prepared to have a picture of you taken.
Note. If you began the process to port your SIM card, Celcom advises getting your old carrier’s approval and submitting a Transfer to Celcom request online. The carrier will then begin the 3-day Mobile Number Portability (MNP) and port, then activate the SIM card on the spot after authentication. That way, you only have to be present in person once.
2. Activate prepaid SIM card via the Celcom Life mobile app
The second method of activating a SIM card from Celcom in Malaysia involves installing their all-purpose self-service mobile application. To clear up any confusion, you can sign in to Life hub on the official website after becoming a customer, but only to preview personal and plan details. With that said, activation of a SIM card using the Celcom Life app looks like this:
- Download the Celcom Life Android app and iOS Celcom Life application, or get Celcom Life on AppGallery.
- On the home screen, tap on Prepaid Self-Registration.
- Pick a language: Malaysian, Chinese, or English.
- Under “Choose an identification”, pick MyKad (natives) or Passport (foreigners). If those are unavailable or not your prime choice, tap on Other Options to get the entire list we mentioned in the introductions.
- Tap on Next.
- The app now instructs you to scan your ID, regardless of what it is. The image and instructions will be based on the identification method you chose. Tap the Scan now button and take a picture of the ID with your device’s camera.
- Take a picture of the SIM barcode in the same fashion by tapping Scan now again. The barcode is in the upper right corner of most prepaid SIM packs and contains ten digits. That is prone to change. Also, because packs are shiny, ensure optimal lighting to prevent light reflections.
- On the “Face Recognition” step, take a selfie with the best lighting you can get. Though technology evolves, you should try to make your selfie look similar to the one on your ID so that the AI can match your face with the ID image.
- Insert the SIM card of the appropriate size from the prepaid pack and try not to disconnect from the Internet. You’ll receive an SMS confirming the activation of your Celcom SIM card shortly.
3. Contact Celcom Customer Service
As is the case with all our activation guides, the carrier’s Customer Care team can prove pivotal in solving all types of problems. Therefore, if despite all our instructions you cannot activate your Celcom SIM card, get in touch with Celcom in these ways:
- Contact form — Visit the Contact Us page on Celcom’s website and fill out these details:
- Customer Type — Pick Individual or Business
- Enquiry Type — Select Plans & Add-ons → Subscriptions (under “Issue Type”) or Other
- Email — Though their email is hidden for security, you can select the Write to us link on the Contact Us page and get a reply from Monday to Friday between 9 AM and 5 PM.
- Phone call — Dial 1111 from a Celcom number locally and *123# abroad. If you use a SIM from another carrier, call +6019-6011111.
- WhatsApp — Use the WhatsApp icon on the Contact Us page or send a message to 60196861111 directly.
- Social media — Send a message on Instagram, Twitter, or Facebook (@celcom).