Claro is a Mexican mobile network provider whose SIM cards must be activated before use. That is not the carrier’s whim, but a lawful obligation in many countries it operates in, such as Brazil, Argentina, Mexico, Panama, Ecuador, Colombia, Costa Rica, Guatemala, and several others. The company is a subsidiary of América Móvil, a well-known telecommunications group from Mexico. Therefore, it has a massive reach of millions of customers interested in activating their mobile network as soon as possible. Naturally, the procedure differs from country to country, but we will get into how to activate your Claro SIM card in various countries.
What are the general activation instructions for Claro SIM cards?
General activation instructions for Claro SIM cards come down to calling a short number (USSD code) or sending an SMS to the number they print or reveal on the country-specific website. Claro has an enormous user base of over 350 million and a presence in over 17 countries. Because we can’t show them, all, we focused on demonstrating Claro SIM card activation procedures in countries with the most customers or the highest market share to give you a general idea about the steps required. We also gave preference to processes with a unique step to prepare you. Activating a Claro SIM card across the world boils down to:
- Entering a USSD (Unstructured Supplementary Service Data) code
- Sending an SMS to a specific number
In all cases, you are required to enable your prepaid or postpaid package to begin using Claro’s SIM cards. The provider may print a USSD code on the SIM card package, tell you which number to call, or ask you to send an SMS to some number. Some countries have a “secret” number which is usually ICCID (Integrated Circuit Card Identification Number), PIN (Personal Identification Number), PUK (Personal Unblocking Key), barcode, or random but unique. You may have to enter it in the USSD menu.
1. Guide to activate a Claro SIM card in Mexico
We begin with the country Claro has headquarters in. The authentication procedures are lax compared to other countries, but you must provide personal information at the Claro store. After getting the SIM card at the store or delivered to you, follow these instructions for activating a Claro Mexico SIM card:
- Insert the SIM card into your device.
- If prompted, enter the PIN on the SIM card package. Some SIM kits in the country only come with a PUK (PUK1 or PUK2) and expect users to enter it to set a new PIN.
- On the home screen, open the calling app and dial *611# before pressing the call key.
- The line should activate within a few minutes. If you need to enable roaming, do the following:
- Go to option 5 titled Roaming y larga distancia (Roaming and long distance).
- Select Roaming Internacional (International Roaming, option 1).
- Choose option 5— Activar servicio (Activate service).
- Pick the Solicito servicio de roaming internacional (I request international roaming service) option.
- Confirm by selecting option 1—Sí, acepto (Yes, I accept).
- When you need to disable this option, repeat steps 1 and two, then pick Deshabilitar roaming (Disable roaming).
2. How does activating a Claro SIM card in Brazil work?
Brazilian users are required to provide their CPF (Cadastro de Pessoa Física) number, known as the Brazilian Taxpayer Registry number, before registering their SIM card from Claro. This is a mandatory step for Claro, but foreigners without a CPF can contact the carrier individually to get service for non-Brazilian users. We assume you have done so and provided your passport number and address of residence in the country. Otherwise, users are encouraged to either get a Brazilian resident to sign up for a SIM card. Now, activating a Claro SIM card in Brazil works like this:
- Insert the SIM from Claro into your device.
- Bypass the PIN screen as suggested above.
- On the home screen, open the Calls app and call *544#
- If prompted, select the region. DDD 11 refers to 11, the default option for São Paulo, the capital of the eponymous state in Brazil. If you’re outside the region, choose Outro DDD.
- After that screen, you will see a success message with your mobile phone number and can use your Claro Brazil SIM card.
3. What is the Claro Argentina SIM activation procedure?
Claro also has a dominant presence in the Argentinean mobile network market, and offers SIM cards across the country, from Claro Customer Care Centers to pharmacies, supermarkets, and many retail outlets. The process is slightly different again, hence we mention it. The Claro SIM card activation procedure is the following:
- Put the SIM card inside the device.
- After booting, the device will activate the network, and you’ll receive several SMSes with information.
- Both residents and international users will receive a message to go to the Claro SIM Check-In page and enter:
- The 10-digit phone number for the SIM card
- Passport number or the Argentinean ID number
- E-mail address
- Upload pictures of the passport and a selfie (international users only).
- Both types of users must now click the Enviar / Send button. Solve the CAPTCHA challenge if requested.
- After verification, the Su mensaje ha sido recibido con el numero de caso XXXXX (You message was received with case number XXXXX) message will appear.
- If successful, the SIM will activate shortly, Otherwise, the carrier will send SMSes with missing information you need to add to the form before you submit it again.
Activating a Claro Argentina eSIM card
Claro’s procedure for activation differs from other countries in that they also offer an embedded SIM card. However, you must be a registered and active user and own a physical SIM card before sending a request through Customer Service. They will send you a QR code or details to enter in Android, iOS, iPadOS, or watchOS via mail.
4. How do I activate a Claro SIM card in Colombia?
You can activate your prepaid Colombian Claro SIM card by following these instructions:
- Insert the SIM card and boot the device.
- Choose the ID type:
- National ID for residents or citizens
- Passport for foreigners and tourists
- Enter the ID number without dots, dashes, or commas.
- Enter your last name followed by the date your document was issued. You’ll receive the success message shortly.
Activating a postpaid SIM card from Claro in Colombia requires users to call *411# and enter the 17-digit bar code number on the SIM card kit twice and press Send in-between.