Dialog Axiata is the leading mobile network provider in Sri Lanka. Throughout the years, they maintained 50% and 57% of total subscribers in the country. In 2020 alone, the carrier covered 92% of the Sri Lankan population with 4G/LTE through GSM 4G SIM cards and started offering a 5G network in major cities. It’s clear, then, why both residents and travelers who seek to avoid roaming in the country opt for this carrier over the others. What isn’t, but should be clear in a moment, is how to activate Dialog SIM card. Let’s get into it.
1. Dialog SIM card activation at the outlet
If you prefer to buy a SIM card in person, finish activating the Dialog SIM card on the spot. First, take a look at Dialog’s Find a Store feature. Then, make sure you fit these requirements to getting a new connection and bring the necessary documents. From our experience, the network signal appeared approximately 20 minutes after the store clerk activated it.
2. Activate Dialog SIM card online
Another method is to request a SIM card delivery(postpaid or prepaid) online, and Dialog will get it to your doorstep within 48 hours (on the Island only). After that, perform an online activation of a Dialog SIM card like this:
- Visit Dialog’s Self-Activation Portal page.
- Click on Begin Activation.
- Enter your e-mail address and phone number, then click on Next.
- Enter the last 8 digits of your SIM card serial number before clicking on Next.
- Tip. Even if your SIM card didn’t arrive in a package, you can still find the number underneath the only barcode.
- Enter your NIC (National Identity Card) number into the empty text field.
- Now, choose a method of proving your identity – NIC, Passport, or Driving License.
- Take a picture of your chosen document, make sure its ID is visible, then upload it.
- Tip. The address on the document must be identical to the one on your NIC. Otherwise, the system displays an error.
- On the next step, take a selfie while looking directly at the camera. Upload it and click on Next.
- Select one of the available SIM card phone numbers. If you don’t like any of them, click on Refresh results.
- Double-check the account details before agreeing to Terms & Conditions and clicking on Next.
- Your Dialog SIM card will be activated in about 5 minutes. Don’t worry, you’ll get an SMS notification.
3. Activate an expired Dialog SIM card
We already that network coverage, as well as affordable pricing, is why most Dialog customers in Sri Lana rely on mobile data over broadband Internet. The carrier realizes this and provides users with a 52 to 60-day grace period after their SIM card expires. In that time, they must sign a new contract or top-up the SIM card to keep using their SIM card without re-activation. Additionally, there’s a 3-month phone number reservation period after the SIM card expires. They must use method 4 to reactivate a Dialog SIM card with their old number, as it won’t appear under step 10 above.
4. Contact Dialog Customer Care
If you need help with the activation process, get in touch with Dialog Customer Support. Visit their Contact Us page to see 6 different phone numbers, including a hotline (dial 1777), a WhatsApp number, and access to live chat. Moreover, Dialog has accounts on all major social media, a Skype account (dialog.skypeline), and representatives replying to e-mails sent to [email protected].