Hutch is a Sri Lankan mobile network service provider whose SIM card activation procedure requires little to no steps. This is in contrast with many carriers whose techniques we covered over time, although primarily due to government regulations. Many providers are forced to demand a slew of personal information and that users perform activities such as showing up to an outlet in person. Others devised a smarter, technology-powered approach, such as using photo identification via AI (Artificial Intelligence) that would match a selfie to an ID photo. Thankfully, none of this is required. Learning to activate a Hutch SIM card is straightforward. Let’s start.
Guide to activate a new Hutch SIM card
Right off the bat, we’ll tell you that you don’t need to activate a Hutch SIM card—it arrives at your doorstep or is handed by the outlet employed in an active state. The provider will instruct you to restart your device to ensure the process goes through. Postpaid SIM cards will have the balance corresponding to the plan you chose when signing up. You can dial *444# to check your balance. In contrast, 4G-ready prepaid SIMs are active but cannot be used until you select a plan. Unless you visited their store, there are two ways to use a prepaid Hutch SIM card:
- Visit the Hutch website and click the Reload / Pay Bill button in the upper right corner. Select the appropriate option before deciding whether to use a direct reload or sign up for some of their packs. After the payment goes through, dial *344# to check the balance. You can then use USSD codes for packs you want to activate if you haven’t already.
- Download the Hutch application for Android, iOS, and HarmonyOS devices on Google Play Store, Apple App Store, or AppGallery, respectively. Sign up with your Hutch mobile phone number, and you can activate plans and packs to start using your SIM card.
Instructions for activating an upgraded or replaced Hutch SIM card
The only distinction to the process above applies to buying and activation of a replacement SIM card from Hutch. To clarify, this only applies when you transition from a 3G to a 4G SIM card or need to replace a stolen or lost one. When that happens, you merely have to:
- Keep the old SIM inside if possible. If stolen or lost, insert the SIM the carrier sent into your device.
- Dial either 127 or *127#.
- Enter the new SIM card serial number (the 14-digit one printed on the full-size SIM card).
- Press 1 or enter 1 using your virtual keyboard to confirm the switch. Insert the new SIM if you kept the old one.
You do not need to sign up for the website or the mobile app since the phone number remains identical. You may proceed with choosing plans or packs.
Contact Hutch Customer Care
If things turn sour at any point, don’t hesitate to seek help from the carrier. You can reach out to Hutch Customer Support in these ways as a third way to activate your SIM card:
- Calling — Dial 1788 from any network 24/7.
- Texting — Send a free SMS to 5555 or a text message to WhatsApp number 0788 777 111.
- Email — Forward an email to [email protected].
- Contact form — Visit the Hutch Contact Us page and fill out the form under “Drop us a message”
- Live chat — Click the floating chat bubble in the bottom right corner of the “Contact Us” page.
- Stores — Drop by the locations of the outlets on the “Contact Us” page.
- Social media — Send your inquiry on Facebook and Instagram (@hutchsrilanka) or Twitter (@HutchSriLanka).