Korek was one of the three carriers that got a 3G license from the Government of Iraq in January 2015, making the activation of their SIM cards essential. Since then, the company introduced 4G LTE services across the country and is slowly graduating to 5G where applicable. The demand for their prepaid data-related service only grew over time, and more users, residents and travelers, made it the largest Iraqi mobile operator at the time of publication. Further, the mobile network operator does an awesome job offering reactivation packages to returning users. This will be the topic of our guide to activate a Korek SIM card.
1. Activating a new Korek SIM card
If you decided to become a Korek customer and need to activate your SIM card, here’s what to do based on its type:
1. Prepaid Korek SIM card
Prepaid SIMs are rising in popularity thanks to the carrier’s desire to popularize high-speed internet and social media data bundles. To get a SIM card, you must visit the nearest Korek retail store, a kiosk that sells SIM cards, or order one from a third-party reseller. We recommend the first option. Afterward, the Korek SIM card receives network settings as soon as you subscribe to any prepaid data plan. Though bundle codes change, Korek shortcode, 250, does not.
To illustrate this, we’ll give you an example of a monthly Internet bundle, valid for 30 days, and priced at 30,000 IQD. After topping the card up with the required amount, send the corresponding code, in this case, 20, as an SMS to the shortcode, 250. If you want to cancel any bundle, send 0 to 250. If a store is nearby, a clerk can perform activation instead as well.
2. Postpaid SIM cards from Korek
Postpaid Korek users don’t have the benefit of remote activation. Instead, they must bring their ID (passport for foreigners), ration card (residents only), and two photos. Following a small payment and filling out an application, a Korek store employee will activate the SIM card before handing it over. You need to insert it and, if the network doesn’t come on, restart the phone before applying method 3.
2. Using the USSD code to activate your old Korek SIM card
Due to the relatively short validity of prepaid SIMs, ranging from 1 day to 30 days, users oftentimes find themselves taking breaks in-between using their services. Because Korek wants them as regulars, they frequently release reactivation offers. Although the exact number varies, they have one thing in common—plans are activated using a USSD code. To demonstrate this, we’ll provide two situations with concrete examples:
- Buying validity: If your balance validity expires, and you can’t use it to activate a bundle, dial *272# and select one of the offered time-based options.
- Reactivating: If your SIM was unused for a long time and thus deactivated by Korek, use an active reactivation offer to enable it again. For instance, users can call *313# to get a reactivation bundle. You can find an up-to-date number on the official website. Alternatively, drop by the nearest Korek outlet.
3. Contact Korek Customer Service
Whether you were investigating ahead and have yet to sign up or experienced problems trying to activate your Korek SIM card, you can reach out to their Customer Support like this:
- Call them. Dial 411 from any Korek SIM card to get in touch with a 24/7 Customer Care team.
- Visit them. Head over to the closest Korek retail store via map or a list of Korek retailers. This method, as explained above, is convenient as the representative can complete activation.
- Email them. Forward an inquiry to [email protected].
- Send a social media message. The carrier is available on Instagram and Twitter (@korektelecom) and Facebook (@KorekTelecom).