Bought a new Telstra SIM card? Want to activate it? You are at the right place. With Telstra, you can either go with a prepaid plan or a postpaid plan based on your preferences. Whichever you choose, the steps to activate both of them are almost the same. As soon as you buy a new SIM card, you will have to choose a plan that is appropriate for your needs, and then move forward with the steps required to enable it on your sim card. Without further due, this is how you can activate a Telstra SIM card.
Things you need to activate a Telstra SIM card
Before you continue, there are a few things you need in order to start the process of activating your SIM card from Telstra.
- The SIM card Serial Number – Obviously, you will need the serial number of your Telstra SIM card. You can usually find it in the packaging of your SIM tool kit. If you got your Telstra SIM with a device, you may find it on the device packaging or manuals inside.
- A valid ID proof – It is obvious that you will require some form of ID in order to start using a SIM card service. It is the same in the case of the Telstra SIM cards as well. You will need one of the following ID proofs –
- Medicare card
- A driving license or learners permit issued in Australia
- Your Australian passport or an international passport with Australian Visa
Once you have these things, you may continue with the processes based on the type of SIM card you have from Telstra.
Steps to activate Telstra prepaid SIM card
The Telstra prepaid SIM card will allow you to recharge whenever necessary and start using the services right away. If you are going for the prepaid SIM card from Telstra, these are the steps to activate it.
- Go to the Telstra prepaid SIM activation page.
- Enter the serial number found on the back of your SIM kit.
- Click on the Check serial number button. Telstra will verify the serial number, and if the SIM card is legit, will take you to the next step.
- You will be given two options to either transfer your number from the old SIM card provider to Telstra, or get a fresh Telstra number. Choose your preference.
- In the next step, fill your ID details. The accepted IDs are mentioned in the previous section.
- Then it will also ask you for your contact details. Fill that as well.
- Choose a plan that fits your needs. You can find out all of their plans from the official page with its benefits and other details.
- Once you are sure about everything and confirmed the provided details are accurate, click on the Activate button.
- That’s all, Telstra will take care of the rest and your prepaid SIM card will be activated soon.
After activating your SIM card, if there is no active plan on it, you will have to recharge it with one. If you already don’t know, you can check your Telstra SIM number. Once you find your number, which you probably already know, you can recharge your Telstra SIM card with an appropriate plan for your needs. You can confirm that the plan is activated properly by checking the Telstra balance.
Steps to activate Telstra postpaid SIM card
Telstra postpaid SIM card works just like any other postpaid service. You pay on a monthly basis instead of recharging your SIM card when you need it. To activate a postpaid Telstra SIM card –
- Go to the Telstra postpaid activation page.
- As mentioned on the page, the first step is to either scan the eSIM or insert the SIM card in your device.
- After that, simply enter your mobile number into the text box given on the activation page.
- Click the Activate button. If you are a business customer, you will have to contact them by clicking on the “contact us” link given on the page.
- Once the process is completed, Telstra will activate your postpaid SIM card.
According to Telstra, if you are going for a new number, the activation process will be done within 20 minutes usually. But in some cases, it could take up to 4 hours. So, if you are not seeing your SIM card usable even after some time, make sure to wait for a few hours. If the SIM card is inactive even after that, you may check the Telstra outages page. If you want, you may also try contacting their customer support and ask for help. They will be able to provide you further details on why your SIM card is not active yet.