Du is a carrier from the United Arab Emirates that technically gives away SIM cards, i.e., doesn’t have a price on paper. However, the true cost depends on the type of user and the SIM card type (prepaid/postpaid, foreigner/national, validity length). Getting a SIM card alone is nearly impossible unless you’re a foreigner since you usually need to tack a payment plan or sign up for a contract. Therefore, you will have to pay a bit extra, but that means you won’t have separate charges for plans afterward and can use a Du SIM card after activation. With that said, it’s time we solve the mystery of the question, “What is the Du SIM card price?”
Can I get a free Du SIM card?
Yes, users can get a SIM card from Du for free, but only if they’re a foreigner or a traveler. Those on a tour of the United Arab Emirates can get a free DU SIM in these ways:
- Pre-book the Du SIM with a Tourist Plan after registering on the website with their credentials (a passport may be the only valid source of identity according to the country’s regulations).
- Get a Tourist SIM at the Dubai airport in the country (more on that below)
- Swing by any Du store in the country and request it
The Tourist SIM will have 1 GB for free and, if picked up at the airport, will be handed over to you at Passport Control by the Dubai Immigration Officer. The SIM will be valid for 24 hours, so keep that in mind. You can recharge it via their mobile application, on the website, in their stores, and elsewhere to extend its validity from one day to over 28 days. The popular and one of the cheapest paid plans is also named Tourist, costs 49 AED, and gets you 30 Flexi minutes and 2 GB of data.
What is the cost of paid Du SIM cards?
The price of a SIM card Du provides is hard to determine since it is theoretically complimentary. The carrier supplies them with a catch (see why some SIM cards are free). To clarify, although they state the SIM card is free on their website, users must pay for plans to get any use. Since costs change all the time, we can only provide an answer correct at the time of publication. You will have to check the price in their stores, on their website, via the app, and so on. Therefore, you can expect to pay this much for a Du SIM card plus the plan:
- Prepaid plans depend on the type:
- Flexi — From AED 24.5 with a 50% discount to 69.5 AED if you pay yearly, and AED 49 to AED 169 per month
- Easy — AED 55 + 5% VAT (Value-added tax), with lifetime validity
- Pay As You Go — AED 55 + 5% VAT but with limited validity and mandatory recharge for data, voice, data & voice, and so on
- Special features — You can expect to pay more for using extra features. These include credit protection, out-of-credit bail-out, international top-up, and post-call notifications. You may shell out less money if you belong to the elderly and differently abled people customer group
- Postpaid plan price depends on the kind of plan as well:
- Power Plan — AED 125 + 5% VAT up to 1000 AED monthly + 5% VAT
- Power Plan with special numbers — 1200 AED up to AED 9000
- Data-only SIM — AED 99 to AED 279-379 (depending on discount available), but with 5% VAT