Decided to restore iPhone to factory settings? That’s a great solution, regardless if you’re selling it, giving it away, or plan to use it as a daily driver and want to start from scratch. In fact, you can do this immediately, but first, make sure you have files backed up to iCloud, made a manual backup, or plan on using a data recovery software for iOS. Now the important part – the absence of a SIM card means you can’t take advantage of everything a SIM card is used for, but it doesn’t affect the process. So, you can learn how to erase iPhone without SIM card, then use the same steps when you have one in. Let’s begin.
Verify data is backed up to iCloud (Recommended)
We propose you do this not only because you’d be forced to recover photos, videos, documents, and a bunch of personal files. If you’ve read our articles about copying contacts from SIM card to phone or saving contacts to SIM card, you know that Apple does not allow this one iPhone. Instead, uploading them to the cloud is your only option. With that in mind, double-check iCloud backup is enabled like this:
- Establish an Internet connection, whether through mobile data or Wi-Fi.
- Tap on Settings then tap on your name with Apple ID below.
- Tap on iCloud, then go to iCloud Backup.
- Select Back up now.
- Let the files sync fully before proceeding with one of the 3 methods below.
1. Erase iPhone without SIM card through iOS
Follow these steps to erase iPhone without a SIM on iOS:
- Open your iPhone’s Settings app.
- Scroll down and select General.
- Scroll again, then pick the Reset option.
- Tap on the Erase All Content and Settings option.
- Tap on Erase Now.
- Enter the passcode (PIN) for your iPhone.
- Tap on Erase iPhone.
- Tip. You are offered to enter your Apple ID password to disable Activation Lock and Find My Device. Only do this if you plan on selling the phone.
- The process starts. The screen will remain dark with an Apple logo and a loading bar.
- When the loading bar fills up, your iPhone will reset, and you’ll see the Hello screen.
- Your personal information is deleted. Feel free to insert a SIM card and start anew or give the phone away.
2. Erase iPhone without SIM card on Mac/PC
Here are two ways to reset iPhone without SIM card on PC or Mac:
1. Using Mac Finder
This method works on any Mac device using macOS 10.15 Catalina and later. With that acknowledged, here are the instructions to erase iPhone without SIM card via Mac Finder:
- Connect your iPhone with your Mac using a Lightning to USB cable.
- Tap on Trust Device when prompted.
- Click on your iPhone’s name under Locations in the left-hand sidebar.
- Under General and below Software, click on the Restore iPhone… button.
- Confirm your decision in the pop-up window.
- Follow on-screen instructions which are almost identical to steps 6 through 11 above.
2. Using iTunes
This method works on systems that are up to macOS 10.14 and older, as well as Windows. With that said, here’s how to wipe iPhone without SIM card via iTunes:
- Connect your PC/Mac with a USB cable once again and tap on Trust Device.
- Select your iPhone in the top left corner.
- Pick the Summary option in the Settings menu on the left.
- Click on the Restore iPhone… button on the far right side.
- Confirm that you want to do this.
- Follow on-screen directions which are nearly identical to steps 6 to 11 in method 1.