A SIM card is a small chip that stores a certain amount of information. This information is mostly confidential as it is about the SIM card’s user. It allows the service provider uses to identify them among millions of its subscribers. For the safety of this data, every provider supplies a SIM PIN (Personal Identification Number) which a user can employ to lock their SIM card
The default one is generally the same for every user of the same service provider. But users can also generate their code using the default one. However, unless you can remember it, we suggest not locking your SIM. If you enter the wrong PIN three times continuously, your SIM card will be blocked. This can only be unlocked by using the PUK code, which means you need to find it on a Dialog SIM.
What is a PUK Code?
PUK stands for Personal Unlocking Key. It is generally an 8 digit key that is provided to you with the SIM card. It is largely printed on the SIM kit, and only used when you enter the wrong SIM PIN three times continuously. There is no use of the PUK code if you haven’t enabled the SIM PIN lock in the first place. This code is there to save you from getting your SIM card disabled permanently. But there is an important point to remember: if you enter the wrong PUK code 8 times in a row, your SIM card will get disabled permanently. In such a case you won’t have any other option but to get a new SIM card after submitting identity proof documents.
Seek the PUK Code on the Kit of Dialog SIM
Dialog Axiata is a Sri Lankan telecommunications giant with the largest subscriber base in the country. If you are also a Dialog subscriber, know that the default SIM PIN for every Dialog SIM card is 531531. You can configure a new SIM PIN of your choice using the default one. But if you have locked your phone by entering the wrong PIN thrice, you will need to find the PUK code for your Dialog SIM card.
As already mentioned, every SIM card kit/document has its PUK code printed on it. Many times, people either misplace the kit or throw it away. It is also important to remember that every SIM card has its unique PUK code, hence you cannot use some other Dialog user’s numbers. Every SIM provider offers several ways to find the PUK code, and Dialog is among those that provide a few simple methods.
Other Ways to Obtain PUK Code for Dialog SIM Card Users
Follow these steps to get your PUK code for your Dialog SIM card if you don’t have the kit it came in.
- Take a piece of paper and write down your locked Dialog serial number on it. Don’t mistake it for the phone number you give your friends and family. We’re talking about Integrated Circuit Card Identification Number (ICCID) with 18 to 22 digits.
- As your own Dialog SIM is locked, it is unable to make a call to the Dialog customer care service. If you are using another Dialog SIM for calling then dial 1777. If you are using another network, landline, or calling from outside the country then call +94 777 676 576.
- On the IVR (Interactive Voice Response), choose the relevant options to know your PUK number. Otherwise, talk to the customer care representative and ask for the PUK code of your SIM card.
- The customer care representative will ask for your details like name, date of birth, and so on, for verification. They will also request your SIM number. You’ve already noted it down in the first step.
- The agent will now tell you the PUK code. Listen to it carefully and note it down somewhere you can access it in the future as well.
- Enter the PUK code in the locked SIM phone. Then, it will ask you to reset a new SIM PIN.
- Your SIM card will be unlocked. You can use it like you used to.
Choose How to Proceed with PIN or PUK
After unlocking the phone using the PUK code, it is your choice to either keep the SIM PIN enabled or disable it. To avoid such hassle in the future, we advise not to use the SIM PIN lock. But if you are scared of getting your SIM data stolen or hacked, you should do so. The process to obtain the PUK remains the same whether the SIM is prepaid or postpaid. Remember to keep the PUK code documented somewhere safe, yet still within reach. Don’t note it in your phone as you may not access it when the SIM is locked. It’s best if you save it on a separate device, print it, or write it down in a physical notebook for future use.