A cell phone has become an integral part of our life today. Without the cell phone device, life will become boring. A cell phone brings a plethora of facilities for us. You can call someone and enjoy talking with him anytime. Modern smartphone devices give easy access to the internet. Thus, you can access various websites and applications through a handheld device. All these facilities of a cellular phone will become void without a SIM card. So, a SIM can also be called the nucleus of a smartphone device.
A problem with the SIM card will turn your phone dead. If you cannot access the internet or call someone, you can assume that a problem has occurred with the SIM card. There are many ways of detecting a problem with the SIM card. After purchasing a new SIM card, one has to wait for some time for SIM activation. After activation, you can easily make a call or send messages to someone.
Is Your SIM Card Working?
How can you know the activation status of your SIM card? New SIM card users will receive text messages from the network operators on activation of their SIM cards. If you are not a new user, you can check your SIM activation status through the following measures.
- Make a Call: Go to the phone book or call log of your cell phone device and dial a number. If you can make a call successfully, the SIM is working. Unable to make a call indicates issues with SIM card or network connection.
- Send a Message: Instead of calling, you can send a message to someone to check the SIM card’s activation status. If the message gets delivered, your SIM card is working fine.
- Error in Receiving Calls and Messages: If you do not get calls and messages from others, it indicates a SIM card error. Either the SIM has expired, or there is a network connection problem.
- No Internet Access: Open the browser of your smartphone and access Google.com or any other website. No access to the internet is a SIM card error. However, make sure that your phone has internet connectivity permissions.
- Check Network Bar: If the network bar shows feeble network strength, the SIM card is active. But, the network connection is poor. If you do not find a network bar, it signifies a SIM card error. Sometimes, you may notice an “X” sign. It confirms the SIM card error.
Invalid SIM Card Error
Invalid SIM error is not common for cell phone users. Instead of the “invalid SIM card” error, some users may also encounter a “No SIM Card” error. What causes such errors? The possible reasons are discussed in the following section.
- Faulty Connection: Due to a faulty network connection, such an error can happen. You can contact the network operator and lodge your complaint against the error. The network operator takes 1-2 days to resolve the issue.
- Loose SIM Card: If a SIM card is loosely attached to the device, an invalid SIM error occurs. Some users make mistakes in inserting the SIM properly. As a result, the SIM does not receive any network signals. Your phone will show a “No SIM” error.
- Network Lock: Phone operators may lock the SIM, sighting security threats and other reasons. In such cases, users should contact the network operator to re-activate their SIM cards.
- Regional Lock: Some network operators provide SIM cards that will specifically work in a particular region. If you go outside the area, your SIM card will not work. People may encounter the error when travelling abroad.
Common Solutions of Invalid SIM Card Error
Smartphone users encounter a few common SIM card errors. A few simple measures can resolve the problems with the SIM card. In the following section, some common SIM errors and their solutions are listed.
1. Restart Your Phone
At times, users may find issues in inbound and outbound calls or messages. If you cannot send or receive messages or calls through your cell phone, there must be a problem with the SIM card. For resolving the issue, you need to restart the device. Restarting the device helps to fix the issues with SIM in most cases.
2. Check SIM and Insert Properly
Sometimes, restarting the device does not work. Despite restarting the device, you will find issues with calls, messages, and internet connections. You need to open the flip side of the device and check the SIM card slot. Take out the SIM card and clean it using a dry cloth or paper napkin. Insert the SIM correctly and turn on the device. You will find that the error has gone.
3. Check Airplane Mode
Sometimes, users turn on airplane mode mistakenly. During an airplane ride, you can turn on airplane mode instead of switching it off. Activating the mode will make the SIM card dead. Switching off the mode will make the SIM card active again. So, check whether you have mistakenly turned airplane mode or not. If turned on, you should turn it off.
4. Select Network Operator
Sometimes, your smartphone device cannot select a network operator automatically. Thus, you need to do the job manually. Here are the steps to follow:
- Visit Settings
- Tap on the Mobile Networks and Network Operators
- Now, tap on the Search Networks
- Wait till the available networks come on the screen
- Select your SIM card network operator from the list
5. Pay the Bills
Not paying the monthly subscriptions for the SIM card may lead to deactivation. Your network operator can deactivate the SIM if you have so many pending bills. Paying the bills at the earliest will help you to activate the SIM again. Not paying the bills can also lead to permanent SIM deactivation.
Can You Use Phone without SIM Card?
Smartphone devices come with a few features that you can access without having a SIM card. For example, you can watch an image or video stored on your phone’s memory. You can browse the contents stored in the phone memory. One can also play offline games and access apps that do not need an internet connection. Or even make video calls without a SIM card. If you can avail of these features on your phone, do not assure that your SIM card is active.
Facing a problem with a SIM card is not uncommon. In most cases, SIM card errors happen due to minor issues. Following the solutions mentioned above can help you to resolve such problems.