In the beginning, people believed that linking their SIM card, i.e., phone number, with their Aadhaar card will verify their number. The idea was to filter out all the illegally obtained SIM cards. But later on, it became clear that linking your SIM card with Aadhaar is not for mobile number verification. The major purpose behind this is to attach your phone number with your Aadhaar and the other similar government-issued documents. In this article, we will discuss various ways you can link your phone number with your Aadhaar number. Let’s start.
Which linking methods exist, and does it matter how long I’ve used a SIM card?
Indian telecom companies use several ways to link your phone number with Aadhaar. All the methods include OTP (one-time-password) verification, agent-assisted authentication, and IVR (Interactive voice response) services. Apart from those, every individual can also opt to visit the mobile outlets and register their biometrics and execute the linking process. Also, the period you have been a user makes a difference:
1. Connect Aadhaar with the phone number of a new user
If you are a new user, visit your preferred mobile operator’s outlet, such as Vi or Jio. Not only will you get the new SIM card but also link it with Aadhaar on the spot. To clarify, here’s how the procedure looks:
- Visit the operator’s store along with your Aadhaar card and its copy.
- Request a new SIM card.
- Provide the attendant with your Aadhaar card copy as proof of identity and address.
- On the biometric scanner, scan your fingerprint to verify your Aadhaar details.
- After the verification process is done, a new SIM card will be issued to you.
- Wait for the SIM activation. It may take a couple of hours.
2. Link Aadhaar using your old SIM card phone number
There are two ways to link your Aadhaar with your existing (unlinked) mobile number via OTP: online and offline. In both methods, the subscriber will receive an OTP to verify their mobile number. In the following sections, you will learn about both methods.
1. Guide to link Aadhaar with an old SIM card phone number online
You can use this method at home (or anywhere you have a working internet connection). Just follow the steps below.
- Visit the website of your telecom operator whose SIM card you will link with Aadhaar.
- Enter the mobile number you want to link, verify or re-verify with an Aadhaar card.
- You will receive an OTP on the mobile number you had entered to link. Enter the OTP and click on the Submit button.
- Type the 12-digit Aadhaar number you plan to connect to the mobile number. You will receive one more OTP.
- Next, you will receive a consent message regarding your e-KYC details. Accept all the terms and conditions and enter the OTP you received the second time.
That’s it! You will receive a confirmation message about the re-verification of the mobile number and Aadhaar card.
2. Instructions for linking an existing SIM card with Aadhaar offline
There are two offline methods to authenticate your existing mobile number with an Aadhaar card: SMS-based verification, and verification that uses IVR.
1. Verify your mobile number through Aadhaar using SMS
This process works like this:
- Visit the nearest outlet of your mobile network carrier.
- Provide the representative with your Aadhaar card’s self-attested copy.
- Submit your Aadhaar card details and mobile number to the store clerk. Make sure these are correct.
- A 4-digit OTP will be sent to the mobile number you want to link with Aadhaar.
- Submit the OTP and the biometrics to the store attendant.
- You will receive an SMS confirmation after 24 hours of submission.
- Reply with Y to complete the process of e-KYC.
2. IVR-based verification of a mobile number via Aadhaar
All prepaid and postpaid mobile network users can employ the steps below to link their phone number with Aadhaar.
- Dial 14546 (toll-free) from the mobile number to which you want to get linked.
- Press 1 to verify that you are a resident of India.
- Enter your Aadhaar card number.
- Press 1 to confirm the entered Aadhaar number.
- Enter the mobile number you wish to link. You will receive an OTP.
- Allow your mobile network operator to access your data related to your date of birth, photo, and name from the UIDAI (The Unique Identification Authority of India) database.
- Enter the OTP you received in the 5th step.
- Press 1 to complete the re-verification process.
Note. It is not mandatory to carry any documents with you except your Aadhaar card when you go to link your mobile number with it.