Opening a SIM card slot is a mandatory step in today’s smartphones, tablets, and even portable routers/hotspots. Some carriers, as well as Apple iPhone models, started using en embedded-SIM card slot. That allows you to erase and write the data on a SIM chip over and over instead of physically switching SIM cards. Although a smart solution, it also poses a risk to privacy and might kill prepaid SIM card burner phones. Plus, the majority of people haven’t made a transition yet. It is exactly for them that we’re making this guide on how to open a SIM card slot.
Opening a SIM card slot
1. You might not need to
As mentioned, if your phone has an embedded-SIM card, there’s no need to open a SIM card slot. Additionally, if you’re using an older device without waterproofing features, the SIM card slot is fixated, and not a drawer that can be pulled out and pushed back in.
- Remove the back panel of the phone.You might have to use a little force or a thin piece of plastic to unlatch the back panel. Never use metal, as it can cause a short circuit.
- Disconnect and remove the battery.
- Looking for a SIM card slot. It will have an icon of a SIM card (a rectangle with one corner cut off) near it.The size of the slot varies based on the age of the device. It is likely to be designed to fit a mini-SIM card or a micro-SIM card.
2. Steps to pull out a SIM card slot
Are you planning to use a nano-SIM card alone or in combination with an SD card? Or dual SIM or two SIM cards and a SIM using a hybrid SIM adapter? It doesn’t matter – you need to open the SIM card slot to insert any of them.
- Do not try to remove the back panel of your phone. It is glued down with a strong adhesive to make your device waterproof. Furthermore, it is designed to be opened only if a repair or replacement is needed.
- Look at the sides of your phone.
- The slot will be around 1 cm in length and have a tiny hole next to it.
- Get a SIM card removal tool you received in the package your device came in. It resembles a paperclip, although it is bent on one side to allow you to hold it.
- Place the pointy end of the SIM card removal tool into the hole we mentioned above.
- Press lightly.
- SIM card slot will pop up ever so slightly.
- Use your nails to pull it out.
- Insert a SIM card, SD card, or both into the hybrid SIM slot.
- Push the SIM card slot back in.
- If you run into a problem afterward, read how to troubleshoot a SIM card that’s not working.
And there you have it, those are all the instructions to open a SIM card slot you’ll ever need! Now is the time to learn everything that a SIM card is used for.