Opening a SIM card slot is a mandatory step in today’s smartphones, tablets, and even portable routers/hotspots. Some carriers, as well as Apple iPhone models, started using en embedded-SIM card slot. That allows you to erase and write the data on a SIM chip over and over instead of physically switching SIM cards. Although a smart solution, it also poses a risk to privacy and might kill prepaid SIM card burner phones. Plus, the majority of people haven’t made a transition yet. It is exactly for them that we’re making this guide on how to open a SIM card slot.
Opening a SIM card slot
1. You might not need to
As mentioned, if your phone has an embedded-SIM card, there’s no need to open a SIM card slot. Additionally, if you’re using an older device without waterproofing features, the SIM card slot is fixated, and not a drawer that can be pulled out and pushed back in.
- Remove the back panel of the phone.You might have to use a little force or a thin piece of plastic to unlatch the back panel. Never use metal, as it can cause a short circuit.
- Disconnect and remove the battery.
- Looking for a SIM card slot. It will have an icon of a SIM card (a rectangle with one corner cut off) near it.
2. Steps to pull out a SIM card slot
Are you planning to use a nano-SIM card alone or in combination with an SD card? Or dual SIM or two SIM cards and a SIM using a hybrid SIM adapter? It doesn’t matter – you need to open the SIM card slot to insert any of them.
- Do not try to remove the back panel of your phone. It is glued down with a strong adhesive to make your device waterproof. Furthermore, it is designed to be opened only if a repair or replacement is needed.
- Look at the sides of your phone.
- The slot will be around 1 cm in length and have a tiny hole next to it.
- Get a SIM card removal tool you received in the package your device came in. It resembles a paperclip, although it is bent on one side to allow you to hold it.
- Place the pointy end of the SIM card removal tool into the hole we mentioned above.
- Press lightly.
- SIM card slot will pop up ever so slightly.
- Use your nails to pull it out.
- Insert a SIM card, SD card, or both into the hybrid SIM slot.
- Push the SIM card slot back in.
- If you run into a problem afterward, read how to troubleshoot a SIM card that’s not working.
And there you have it, those are all the instructions to open a SIM card slot you’ll ever need! Now is the time to learn everything that a SIM card is used for.