WhatsApp is an excellent internet-based texting and calling App that most cellphone users have installed on their cellphone. You just need an internet connection and a phone number, you are good to go and use WhatsApp to send and receive messages, make voice or video calls, and even transfer funds. However, the major limitation with WhatsApp is, if you have to install and use the Application, your cellphone requires a SIM card. If not, you cannot authenticate and install the same to use it seamlessly. But, what if we say that there are at least three easy ways to install the app without a SIM card? Yes, it is possible.
WhatsApp requires a phone number as a way to establish your identity on the platform. Down the road, this information can be used as a way to protect you against hackers who gain access to your phone. However, giving out your phone number can also be a privacy concern. After all, whenever a large data breach happens, it is inevitably followed by a large personal information leak. So, is there a way to combat that and activate WhatsApp without giving out your phone number? Or, at least by supplying a replacement? Luckily, there is. Here’s how to verify WhatsApp without a SIM card.
This is no technical tweak or cheats code. It is a legal and technological process that you can use to install WhatsApp and use it without any disturbance. This article will give you 3 concrete methods to use WhatsApp without a SIM card.
1. SIM Card on the Other phone
Imagine a situation that you have two phones. One with a SIM card and the other smartphone without one. You can use the following method to use WhatsApp on the phone without a SIM card.
- Connect the smartphone without a SIM card to an internet connection.
- Download WhatsApp from Google Play Store.
- Open the application once it is downloaded.
- Now, the application will ask for a Cellphone number, enter the number of the phone that has the SIM card.
- Press Next.
- Verify the number once again and click on the OK.
- The Application will send the OTP text to the other device.
- Enter the OTP to this cellphone that does not contain the SIM Card.
- The App is successfully installed and you can use WhatsApp now.
2. Verify WhatsApp without SIM card with a Text Free/TextNow app
Both of the apps are free and support both major smart device operating systems. They’re also equally capable of creating phone numbers you can use to call or text. The big difference is that Text Free on Android and iOS is intended for the United States. It also allows you to create custom phone numbers – memorable phone sequences, or a mix of numbers and letters. TextNow is geared toward the US, Canada, and the international market, which is why we’ll use it to demonstrate the process. Here are 2 main steps to authenticate WhatsApp using a TextNow phone number:
1. Generate a phone number with TextNow
First, you need to follow these steps to generate a phone number using TextNow:
- Download, install and launch TextNow for Android or TextNow on iOS.
- Tap the Get Started button.
- On the Signup tab, enter your e-mail address. You can also use your Google and Facebook accounts to sign up on Android.
- Enter a password and tap on the Create Account.
- Complete the reCAPTCHA challenge.
- To make sure you receive the call from WhatsApp, tap on Turn On Notifications.
- To save time, tap on Skip For Now until you get to the area code.
- Enter an area code, preferably in the US or Canada.
- Tap on Continue to get a phone number.
- Highlight and copy the phone number.
2. Use a TextNow number during WhatsApp authentication
Follow these instructions to verify WhatsApp without a SIM card using TextNow:
- Install WhatsApp (first-time users) or reinstall WhatsApp if you already have it.
- Select a country at the top.
- Long-press into the empty field to paste the phone number you copied.
- Tap on Next, then OK when prompted.
- WhatsApp will send you an SMS and auto-fill the empty text field.
- Tip. If it doesn’t, open the TextNow app, manually find the 6-digit code within SMS, and enter it yourself.
- Accept the permission prompts, and start using WhatsApp.
3. Utilize Google Voice to verify WhatsApp without a SIM card
Many people already use Google Voice and don’t like to install third-party apps unless necessary. We commend them since Google Voice is one of the recommended ways to protect a SIM card from hackers and spam. So, if you need a guide to verify WhatsApp with Google Voice in the absence of a SIM card, check method 10 there. Follow the first 12 steps to claim a free US-based phone number. Then, enter it in the same fashion as a TextNow number during the WhatsApp verification process.
4. Use your landline number to verify WhatsApp without a SIM card
This is much simpler than the methods above in terms of effort, time, and technical knowledge. So, why isn’t it the top method? Well, because it kind of beats the point, and here’s why:
- You’re giving out personal information that’s much more dangerous and harder to change.
- Buying a disposable pay as you go SIM/prepaid SIM card and using it only for WhatsApp is a better alternative in terms of privacy.
- Not everyone has a landline, and more and more people are canceling the service.
- You have to wait at the WhatsApp screen, while the 2 methods above are almost instantaneous.
- It might stop working at any moment, and people already report mixed results.
- You have no other choice but to accept a call and listen to the code. This makes it hard for those with hearing problems, and impossible for deaf users.
Steps required to use a landline for WhatsApp verification
Follow these steps to activate WhatsApp without a SIM card:
- Reinstall WhatsApp on Android or iOS or install it for the first time.
- Select your real country of residence.
- Enter your landline phone number in the empty text field. Don’t forget to add a city zip code in front of it, if applicable.
- Tap the Next button, then on OK in the pop-up window.
- Since WhatsApp cannot send SMS to your landline, you’ll have to wait for the process to fail. For us, it took 5 minutes.
- Select the Call me option that appears below Resend SMS.
- You’ll receive a call. Pick up and listen to an automated voice that repeats a 6-digit number over and over.
- Enter it into WhatsApp.
- Accept usage permissions and begin using WhatsApp.
5. Virtual Phone Number
There are instances that you may not also have a Landline number. In those cases, you can create a virtual phone number over the web. Many texting applications are available for free that will generate a phone number for you. You can use the same and authenticate your device without a SIM card as Method 1 and your cellphone are successfully up and running with WhatsApp.
All you need is the authentication procedure to be satisfied to install the Application. The methods discussed here gives easy access to WhatsApp even if the device does not have a SIM card.
Here are 3 frequently asked question about the methods above:
No. This is a common concern with both alternate phone numbers and a landline. WhatsApp won’t try to authenticate the number after the initial verification process.
No. Although your WhatsApp account is tied to that phone number, it doesn’t use it for calls or texts. Instead, all activities are done through the Internet via mobile data, hotspot, or Wi-Fi.
Yes, if the landline or the alternate phone number is still active. The answer is also yes if you did, but no one else claimed the number in the meantime.