Despite being a renowned provider of phone plans, usually structured monthly, Consumer Cellular also lets users get a free SIM card. Although the tariffs may not be the cheapest, the provider at least doesn’t force users into contracts or charge enormous amounts for plans they may not fully utilize. Therefore, it’s one of the best SIM cards for the elderly in the United States. Plus, it ships in all SIM sizes, from micro to nano, and has no activation fees or a complicated process. As you can see below, it merely requires users to enter a few numbers for authentication. There’s also call support. Now, let’s dive into how to activate a Consumer Cellular SIM card.
1. Activate a SIM card from Consumer Cellular online
Although Consumer Cellular mostly deals with selling devices, they also deliver a gratis SIM card with or without a phone or tablet (“Bring Your Own Device” section). However, although it seems that an account is unnecessary, we strongly suggest you stay logged in with the one that made the SIM order. Afterward, the online activation of a Consumer Cellular SIM card works like this:
- Regardless of if you’re signed in to your user account, head to the Consumer Cellular Activate page.
- Enter the activation code under the “Activate Your Device” box. It’s a number-only code that has 8 or 10 digits separated in two by a dash. It is on the back of the device package or the SIM card package. You can click the ‘i’ icon to see a picture.
- Optional. If you ordered more than one device or SIM card, click the Enter Code link under “Have an Additional Device?”.
- Once you enter the code, the feature will expand to include a box to enter the IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity). Enter it for each device. Again, clicking the ‘i’ button in the upper right corner will reveal detailed instructions to find IMEI.
- Follow the rest of the on-screen instructions if requested. When you finish, click the Activate button in the upper right corner.
- Insert the SIM card into your new device and wait for the activation to commence.
- Also, since the carrier also sells the newest models, there’s a chance yours only supports an embedded SIM card. If so, we propose connecting to a safe Wi-Fi and waiting for the profile download pop-up to appear. It may be titled “Cell Plan Detected!” or something similar. Tap OK and install it.
2. Complete activation over the Consumer Cellular phone line
Another officially recognized method to activate a Consumer Cellular SIM card is to dial their Customer Support number at (888) 345-5509. Do note that the agents are based in the United States, so if you’re there on a vacation, and you needed the SIM and/or device to wait for you, you should check the general time zone. The agent can help you find the activation code, IMEI, and cellphone number. They will guide you through the activation process or, if you’re incapable, likely perform activation for you.
Reach out to Consumer Cellular Customer Support
We cannot promise that either of these methods can finish the activation of your SIM card from Consumer Cellular. After all, the other two work in nearly all cases. However, if something is wrong with the activation page, and you can’t get an agent via the phone, you can contact Consumer Cellular in these ways:
- Live Chat — Visit the Consumer Cellular Contact page and click the Chat Now button under “Chat with an agent”.
- Social media — On the same page, you can click links to social media pages. You can find Consumer Cellular on Facebook (@consumercellular), Twitter (@Consumer_Cell), and Instagram (@consumer_cellular).
- Mobile app — Download the My Consumer Cellular or My CC mobile application from Google Play Store or Apple App Store and log in. There’s a way to make a call or use live chat if you go to Support (the question mark icon in the bottom menu).