Kolbi is a state-run Costa Rican mobile carrier, operating under the name Kolbi ICE (Instituto Costarricense de Electricidad). The mobile provider is best known for its GSM SIM cards, available as prepaid, postpaid, and pay-as-you-go. Moreover, their customers enjoy 4G and 4.5G network coverage in the country and network speeds of up to 15 Mbps and 50 Mbps, respectively. Unfortunately, April 2021 report alleges that ICE is sabotaging the 5G network technology implementation. Luckily, users who are content with that can reap other benefits from learning how to activate the Kolbi SIM card. Let’s dive in.
1. Activate Kolbi SIM card via USSD
Bought a SIM card that’s prepaid or pay-as-you-go, and you have it with you? Begin the procedure of activating a Kolbi SIM card using USSD in this fashion:
- Pick up the full-size SIM card.
- Scratch the foil in the bottom left area on the back of it and keep it handy.
- Insert the SIM card and turn the smart device on.
- Dial *888# and you’ll see a “USSD is running” message.
- Select option 2, named “Recarga de cuenta”, then option 1, named “Recargar mi cuenta”.
- Enter the PIN for your SIM card. Find it on the scratched area.
- The USSD will ask for a “Clave” e.g., a printed password right next to the PIN.
- You will receive 2 follow-up SMS, from “kolbi” and “8888”.
- Note. You might receive a third SMS. This is situational and usually tied to the carrier’s customer contest with multiple prizes.
2. Activating a Kolbi SIM card online
Users who fail to use the method above have an online alternative. Follow these steps to activate a Kolbi SIM card via the Internet:
- Visit the Superintendencia de Telecomunicaciones’s Prepaid Register (https://registroprepago.sutel.go.cr) page.
- Click on Registrar mi numero (Register my number).
- Click on Continuar.
- Accept the Terms of Service by clicking on Aceptar.
- Select the type of ID (Identity Document).
- Enter the SIM card phone number, as well as personal information.
- Solve the reCAPTCHA challenge, accept the legal responsibility, and click on Send.
- SUTEL will send a confirmation of registration e-mail to the e-mail address you provided.
- Your prepaid Kolbi SIM is active shortly after clickng a link in the e-mail message.
3. Contact Kolbi or ICE
Contacting Kolbi or heading over to one of their stores to sign the contract is a primary method of the postpaid Kolbi SIM card activation. If you run into any other issues, the following are ways to reach out to Kolbi:
- Call: Dial 1193 from Costa Rica or 800-Prepago/800-7737246 from any phone worldwide.
- Visit a Kolbi store/ICE agency: Head over to the Store Locator (https://www.kolbi.cr/wps/portal/kolbi_dev/ayuda/contactenos/horarios-puntosventa-kolbi#) page.
- Webchat: Visit Kolbi’s Chat (https://chat.kolbi.cr) page. Enter personal information, and await a response Monday-Sunday, 7 AM-7 PM.
- E-mail: Send them a message to [email protected].
- Social media: The carrier is available on Facebook (@kolbicr) and Twitter and Instagram (@kolbi_cr).