Lebara is a Dutch telecommunications company, best known for its SIM-only deals with affordable international calls. On top of pay-as-you-go SIM cards, the mobile carrier offers contract postpaid SIMs, satisfying both types of userbase. Also, besides the Netherlands, the company operates as an MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator), most notably within the United Kingdom, Saudi Arabia, Australia, Denmark, France, Germany, Spain, and Switzerland. With that out of the way, let’s jump into how to activate the Lebara SIM card straight away.
1. Activating a Lebara SIM card might be unnecessary
The carrier operates in multiple countries, but the activation process for the Lebara SIM card isn’t identical everywhere. To clarify, in some cases, you merely have to insert a SIM card, do a top-up by sending an SMS or using a voucher on their website, or call any national phone number. With that said, you don’t need to activate a Lebara SIM card in these countries:
- United Kingdom
While a salesperson in the Lebara’s or one of their partners’ stores activates your SIM card on the spot, this isn’t the case for online orders. If you order a Swiss Lebara SIM online, you must bring the SIM card to the nearest MobileZone shop. Additionally, you must prove your identity by showing an ID card, passport, or residency permit.
2. Activate Lebara SIM card online
These are procedures for activating Lebara SIM cards based on the country of origin:
Activating a German Lebara SIM card works like this:
- Scan the QR code on the SIM card packaging you received. Alternatively, visit the SIM Registration page.
- Under “Zu registrierende Lebara Rufnummer”, enter your SIM card phone number.
- Under “PUK1 / ICCID Nummer”, enter either the 8-digit PUK code or the last 4 digits of an ICCID.
- Note. Both can be found on the SIM card package or in the welcome letter.
- Click to accept the Terms of Service and click on Weiter (Continue)
- In the “Ihre Daten” section, select the issue status of the German document.
- Select which type you want to register with – ID or passport.
- Accept access to the camera, ensure optimal lighting conditions, and follow on-screen instructions on how to scan it.
- Lebara will auto-fill the text fields using OCR (Optical Character Recognition). Fill out the missing information.
- In the “Registrierungsart” section, select the identity verification method. Video call is preferred and the fastest.
- You’ll join a queue. When a Lebara agent calls you, they will ask you for personal details, as well as to hold the ID document in front of the camera for a few seconds.
- After you provide your ID number during a call, the agent will register your SIM card.
- Your Lebara SIM card in Germany will begin working in under 15 minutes.
To start using a French Lebara SIM card, do the following:
- Insert the SIM card.
- Visit the Lebara France SIM Activation page.
- In the SIM section, enter your SIM card phone number and the last 4 digits of its ICCID.
- Tip. Both are received through SMS when you turn your device on with the SIM card inside.
- In the “Address” section, enter your postal address, but only one in France.
- Note. If you’re coming from abroad, you must wait to arrive at a hotel or a private residence to finish activation.
- Finally, In the “Personal details” section you’ll do something similar to steps 6 through 9 above.
- If this fails, dial 5588 within France to finish activation with their French Customer Service representative.
- The Lebara SIM card in France will become functional shortly.
Follow these instructions to activate a Lebara SIM card in Australia:
- Visit the Lebara Australia Activation page.
- In the “Number Details” section, do the same as in step 3 above and click on Next.
- Under “Personal Details”, provide your first and last name, preferred name (for future correspondence), date of birth, contact phone, and e-mail. Click on Next.
- Under “Address”, enter your personal or mailing address, but within Australia only.
- Click on Next, and review the details you provided. Select whether to use your credit card as one proof of ID or not.
- Note. Pay attention to the My Account PIN field and write the number down. You’ll use it as initial credentials for your Lebara account and must change it immediately after.
- In the “ID Verification” section, enter 2 to 4 sources of identity authentication. You can select a passport, mediCare card, visa, driver’s license, or credit card.
- Select your payment plan in the “Plan Selection” section.
- Pay with a credit card or a voucher.
- Insert your Australian Lebara SIM, and it’ll start working in a few minutes.
The procedure for activation of Lebara’s Saudi Arabian SIM card looks like this:
- Visit the Registration (regular users) or SIMReg (students only) page.
- Click on SIM Activation or eSIM Activation, depending on your device. For students, select your nationality.
- Enter your 19-digit ICCID, 8-digit PUK, and 10-digit national ID number.
- Click on Continue.
- The rest of the steps are nearly identical to those for other countries.
- One key difference is that, in one section, you must enter the username and password for your valid Absher account.
- You’ll be able to call and text within minutes. However, to get APN settings and activate the Internet, you must click the link in the SMS you receive upon activation.
3. Contact Lebara Customer Support
If you don’t feel competent or encounter an error during the process, you can ask for help. Obviously, each country has its own website where you can find a specific number. But to give you an idea of the means of communication available, here’s how to reach out to Lebara Customer Service in the Netherlands:
- Swing by a store: Use Lebara Store Finder.
- Use web chat: Use the chat in the Customer Service section. 08:15 AM-5:30 PM (Monday to Friday) or 10:15 AM-3:30 PM (Saturday).
- Use social media: Send a DM to @LebaraNL on Facebook and Twitter. They respond within 1-2 business days.
- Call them: Dial 1200 or +31619001200 from the Netherlands or only +31619001200 from abroad. Available 9 AM-6 PM (Monday to Friday) and 10 AM-4 PM (Saturday).