Lucky Mobile is one of Canada’s best-known mobile service providers. They offer affordable month-to-month plans without long-term commitments of between 6 months and 2 years that others demand to match Lucky’s pricing. As a bonus, the carrier never does a credit check, isn’t known for shady surcharges, and permits international calling from Canada for, their words, “just pennies a minute”. But you know this already since you decided to become a user. Despite the name, one doesn’t need to be so lucky to learn how to activate a Lucky SIM card. So let’s dive into it.
1. Activate Lucky SIM card via the official website
This is the recommended way of starting to use all services Lucky offers. Here are 2 methods of activating the Lucky SIM card:
1. Activation page
This method is intended for brand new customers. Follow these steps to activate a new Lucky SIM card online:
- Head on over to the Lucky Mobile Activation page.
- Double-check that you fulfill all the requirements, then click on Start Activation Now.
- On Step 1, select Activate a Physical SIM card and enter your SIM card serial number twice.
- On Step 2, select whether it’s a new number or a transfer.
- For step 3 and 4, decide on a payment plan and any add-ons you may need.
- Create a new user account for Lucky on step 6.
Note. You can do this in the Lucky mobile app for Android and iOS too. But if you follow step 6, mobile app will cross-reference your phone number with account and log you in automatically.
- In Step 7, sort out your payment options and/or top-up settings.
- The network signal will appear on your mobile phone shortly.
2. Lucky My Account
This will only work if you’re an existing customer who purchased a new Lucky SIM card number. You merely have to log in to Lucky Mobile, head over to the Dashboard, and configure the number, payment plan, and payment method i.e., whether top-ups will be recurring or manually activated.
2. Activating a Lucky embedded SIM card
Lucky Mobile supports eSIM both as the primary SIM and the second line in a dual SIM configuration (the other being a physical SIM). This is entirely free and there’s no delivery period. Moreover, you can use both sub-methods above to complete the activation. One thing to be aware of is that your IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) may fail to work. That’s why Lucky advises entering either IMEI-2 or the temporary IMEI, both of which you get after registering an account or requesting an eSIM on an existing account. Now, follow these instructions to activate a Lucky embedded SIM card based on platform:
At the time of writing, Lucky only officially supports Google Pixel phones. But because they use Android (10/Q demonstrated below, specifically), this may work on other smart devices. With that said, setting an embedded SIM alone is a matter of scanning the QR code using your Camera app. But if you have a physical SIM and want to set up a second line with eSIM, do this:
- Go to Settings then Network & Internet.
- Tap the + icon next to “Mobile network”.
- Note. It can be titled Download a SIM instead? on some Android versions.
- Choose Don’t have a SIM card, then Next.
- After eSIM data is downloaded, tap on Activate.
- Situational. Agree to use the Lucky Mobile network if prompted to select it.
iPhone 12.1 can work with one eSIM at a time, while iOS 13 and later can sustain two lines (physical + eSIM) concurrently. If you acknowledge that, do this:
- Scan the QR code you got from either:
- E-mail message after signing up
- The image on the Activation page or account Dashboard after logging in
- From a Customer Service representative
- You’ll see a notification titled Cellular Plan Detected.
- Tap on Continue, then choose the Add Cellular Plan option.
Note. If the configuration fails to download, repeat step 1. Then, choose Enter Details Manually. Leave the “Activation Code” text field empty while entering CUST-011-V4-PROD-ATL2.GDSB.NET into the “SM-DP + Address” text field.
3. Transferring phone number to Lucky
Aren’t a fan of changing your Canadian SIM card phone number? You can transfer it to Lucky. Method 1 will work, as long as you specify that in Step 2 before entering old carrier account information. You can also contact Customer Support as demonstrated below, and even have a bonus option of going to a Lucky Mobile store for an employee to finish transfer and activation on the Lucky network in Canada. You don’t need to show your ID, the last month’s phone bill will suffice.
4. Contact Lucky Customer Service
Ran into issues or simply prefer to have a helping hand during the activation procedure? Whatever the case may be, you can reach out to Lucky’s Customer Support in one of these ways:
- Website live chat. Click on Chat Live on the “Contact Us” page after answering questions under “How can we help you today?” or click the floating chat icon in the bottom right corner of other pages. Available daily 8 A.M. – 11:59 P.M. ET.
- Contact form. Fill out the details on the Resolve a Concern page.
- Calling. Dial 1 833-88-LUCKY or 1 833-885-8259 from any phone or *LUCKY (*58259) from another Lucky number.
- Social media. Available on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram under the handle @luckymobilecan.
5. Order a pre-activated Lucky SIM card (Risky alternative)
This option is rarely available because, in most countries and with most carriers, you must provide personal information to set up an account, get charged, and use the service. Moreover, there are a lot of fake sellers that plan to scam you or spy on you. However, if you pay a little upfront to order a pre-activated Lucky SIM card from a reputable reseller e.g., Staples, Giant Tiger, or Metro Cellular (we aren’t affiliated nor can vouch for them), this can go away. You’ll get 30 days of data/text/calls based on a payment plan you chose, and stay anonymous. At the end of the month, you can simply purchase a new pack or register a user account using method 1.