Want to use the benefits of roaming on your TM SIM card while traveling abroad? We frequently suggest purchasing a local SIM card when landing in a different country. However, some carriers such as TM or Republika Ng TM offer affordable packets on prepaid SIM plans. Those make it worth skipping the trouble of finding a store and going through with the registration and identification. The process can be tedious and even impossible for tourists. In contrast, activating TM SIM cards is a relatively straightforward procedure you must do beforehand. With that acknowledged, let’s show you how to activate roaming on your TM SIM card.
Why should you start roaming on a TM SIM card?
You should start roaming on a TM SIM card, as opposed to buying local SIMs, because of the roaming plans they offer and their inexpensive roaming rates. They also encourage purchases in a destination country rather than ahead of time, helping you make use of the full package. Plus, TM Tambayan has many roaming contracts with other mobile network providers, meaning you’ll have network connectivity worldwide. The TM Tambayan Data Roaming page has a list of carriers it partners with. Moreover, the carrier has short-term and long-term packages that apply to general mobile data and specific applications such as WhatsApp, GCash, Viber, Maps, Facebook, and so on.
Do all TM SIM cards support roaming?
Yes, all SIM cards from TM Tambayan support roaming, whether 3G, 4G LTE, or 5G LTE. However, the carrier strongly advises that users transition from a 3G network to the aforementioned two for better call quality and faster mobile data. You can order a 4G or 5G SIM, depending on your device, and get freebies and welcome packages. Note that all SIM cards use the validity of the roaming plan from the moment you activate it, regardless of your activity. Therefore, do not activate the package in the Philippines. Instead, wait until you arrive at your destination.
Can I combine roaming packages from TM and for how long?
You cannot combine TM roaming packages of the same type, regardless of the offer. For instance, you cannot combine Roam Viber 100 and another Roam Viber 100 (or 300, 500, etc.), but you can combine Roam Surf 150 and Roam Instagram 100 packages. The validity is usually 1, 3, 5, or 7 days, or until the mobile data runs out, and runs concurrently.
What are the roaming rates for TM Tambayan?
Although the number changes occasionally, the roaming rates for TM SIM cards at the time of writing are:
|Activity||America and Asia||Africa and Europe|
|Outgoing call||PKR Rs. 120 / minute||PKR Rs. 150 / minute|
|Incoming text||Not charged||Not charged|
|Outgoing text||PKR Rs. 20 / 160 characters||PKR Rs. 25 / 160 characters|
|Incoming call||PKR Rs. 60 / minute||PKR Rs. 75 / minute|
The only difference in calling or texting in roaming is the need to use internationally accepted country and area codes with a + in front. You can look them up, but the template is + [country code] [area code] [phone number for landline or mobile networks]. For example> +1 123 1234 5678.
How to activate roaming on a TM SIM card via USSD codes
After you arrive in the destination country and turn your mobile data on, follow these steps to activate your TM SIM card for roaming:
- Open the Calls/Phone application for dialing on your mobile device.
- Call *143#
- After a few seconds, you’ll see a USSD menu. Select Roam or Roaming (option 13 for us).
- Select i-ON ang Roaming (option 1) for us. You’ll see a pop-up message stating, “Thank you! You will get a response via text shortly.” followed by a confirmation SMS from a number such as 2884. Tap OK.
- Optional. To double-check, call *143# → select Roam/Roaming → choose Check roaming status (option 3).
- Purchase a suitable roaming package by dialing *143# again → select Roaming or Roam, then Data Roaming Promos (option 5) or Call & Txt Promos (option 6). You’ll recognize them by names such as Roam Surf, Roam Surf Plus, Roam Facebook, and so forth.
- Start calling, texting, and using mobile data with your TM SIM card abroad.
Roaming still doesn’t function. What do I do?
If roaming still doesn’t work on your mobile device, do the following:
- On Android. Go to Settings → Select Connections, Network & Internet, or something similar → Go to Mobile networks → Toggle the switch next to Data roaming or Roaming under your SIM card.
- For iOS. Open Settings → Select Mobile Data/Cellular Data → Toggle Data Roaming under “Cellular Data Options”.
- For both operating systems with a TM SIM. Check whether APN (Access Point Name) settings have switched to internet.globe.com.ph and if not, change it yourself.
What to do to stop TM SIM card roaming
You should stop the roaming feature on your TM SIM card by deactivating it in the menu. This is not mandatory since the network should recognize that you’re back in the Philippines. However, here’s how to manually disable roaming on your TM SIM card:
- Dial *143#
- Choose Select Roam or Roaming (option 13 on our side).
- Pick the i-OFF ang Roaming option. You’ll receive a confirmation SMS that roaming has been disabled.
- Optionally, follow the steps in the section above and toggle the “Data Roaming” option off. If you edited the APN, switch it back to the original: http.globe.com.ph.