Need to finish activation of a SIM card TM Tambayan provided? That’s a common demand since TM is a well-known Filipino mobile network provider, a brand of Globe Telecom, in the industry since late 2001. You might recognize the brand as Touch Mobile, Islacom, and Republika ng TM, but its presence has been constant. It caters to the youth in the country, as well as the low and middle-income markets. It attracts users through freebies or cheap calling, texting, and Internet data, on top of the availability of 4G LTE and 5G networks across the Philippines. With that said, let’s show you how to activate the TM SIM card.
1. Instructions to activate a new 4G or 5G TM SIM card
Before we provide several examples, we want to make it clear that there are no differences between 4G LTE and 5G LTE SIM cards in terms of activation. Unsurprisingly, there are distinctions when it comes to speed and bandwidth. With that said, follow these simple steps to activate your TM SIM card, 4G or 5G:
- Prepare an unlocked device, phone, or tablet.
- Note. Since these SIMs are popular among travelers due to freebies, international users may need to unlock their SIM card, or rather their device, if they are carrier-locked. They should also double-check their device isn’t barred from accessing the Internet.
- Remove the SIM card tray or access the designated slot and insert the SIM card you received.
- Note. There are no physical differences between SIMs ordered from the TM Tambayan website or purchased in their stores, or convenience stores, or online resellers such as Shopee!, Globe Online Shop, or Lazada.
- Turn the device on, and get to the home screen. If requested, enter the PIN (Personal Identification Number) on the SIM card package, underneath a silver foil that needs to be scratched off.
- The network should come on shortly since data is downloaded automatically. This will complete the activation process, letting you call, text, use mobile data, and more.
- Note. TM recommends users text GO to 2951 to receive their Internet settings if they can’t access their data.
- If the SIM doesn’t appear to be active, TM suggests redeeming the freebie all new users are eligible for. Though the keyword, printed on the package or available on their website, changes, the welcome freebie number is constant. Thus, text the keyword, whatever it currently is, to 8080.
I still can’t finish activating my TM SIM card. Help!
If activating a new user freebie fails to work, you can also load your balance with the lowest amount (currently P50 or 50 Philippine peso) in three main ways:
- Buying a call card. After you acquire the load card, dial *143# (free USSD code). After the message pops, enter the 6-digit PIN and 10-digit call card number and wait for the success message.
- Using GlobeOne App. This mobile application for Android, iOS, and HarmonyOS lets you enter your SIM card phone number, create an account, and load credits with various payment methods.
- Downloading the GCash app. Another way to purchase a load is to add TM Tambayan on GCash and spend as low as P50. You’ll get a load number as a result.
2. Upgrading 3G or 4G SIM card to 5G TM SIM card
The activation procedure after upgrading a SIM from TM is identical, i.e., there are technically no steps but inserting the new SIM. However, there are several steps you need to go through to finish switching to a 5G TM Tambayan SIM card:
- Remove the old 3G or 4G LTE SIM card from your device.
- Insert the 5G TM SIM you got online, bought at a store, or gotten from Globe outlets for free.
- As soon as you reach the home screen (reminder: may need to check the PIN on the package), a message will pop up, preventing you from doing anything else. Enter the 11-digit SIM card mobile phone number for your 5G SIM (it could be new or identical to the old one) and tap OK.
- If things are in order, you’ll receive a confirmation SMS from 8080 stating “Your upgrade to <phone number> is successful. Visit the …”
Note. You can still use the remaining balance, TM Rewards, and promos on the old SIM card if you have a secondary device.
3. Contact TM Tambayan Customer Support
Should things turn sour after all your attempts, you can always reorder the SIM card or reach out to TM Tambayan Customer Service in these ways:
- Social media — Send a message to Facebook (@TMtambayan) or Instagram and Twitter (@tmtambayan).
- Use the GlobeOne app — Search for “GlobeOne” on Google Play Store, Apple App Store, or Huawei AppGallery. Register and get in touch with Customer Care via the app.