Unifi is a mobile network provider whose SIM cards, when activated, let users roam (almost) worldwide and stay connected to mobile data. Users often interpret its name as Uni-Fi, i.e., universal wireless network connection or universal Wi-Fi. Furthermore, unifi Mobile is based in Malaysia and is best known for offering 4G access and providing affordable postpaid plans with unlimited calls, texts, and data. They also supply highly customizable prepaid plans ranging from RM10 (Malaysian ringgit) for small benefits to roughly RM50 for unlimited 30-day LTE (usually 4G) coverage across Europe. Hourly, daily, and weekly plans are available, too. Now, let’s dig into how to activate an Unifi SIM card.
Note. Though it mostly uses “unifi Mobile” as the official name, the carrier occasionally spells its name with a capital letter, i.e., “Unifi”. Our guide will reflect that.
1. Activate a brand-new SIM card from Unifi
Unifi is one of the mobile network providers that make it straightforward for users to benefit from all services. To clarify, you only need to insert the SIM card into a mobile device using Android, iOS, or iPadOS, or one of the UniFi LTE Pro devices that are popular across Europe. That comes down to lenient laws in Malaysia, a rapidly growing tech country, that don’t require extensive personal information from users.
As soon as you insert the SIM and connect to the unifi mobile network, the carrier will activate it. You will receive APN (Access Point Names) settings for MMS, Internet, and so on. If you don’t do that, unifi Mobile will activate the SIM card 30 days from the day it arrived at your doorstep or was taken at one of their outlets. That is important since SIMs usually have limited validity you can check.
2. Activating SIM cards ported to unifi Mobile
Although the last stretch of the activation procedure for porting SIM card numbers from another carrier to unifi Mobile is identical, there are some prerequisites. Depending on the method you choose, here’s what you have to do:
- Official website — Visit the Unifi website and click the padlock in the upper right corner. Sign in to an account you made or register. Follow the instructions to order a SIM card if you haven’t. Now, select the Switch to unifi option and pick a delivery method: immediate (self-pickup) or door delivery (1-5 business days) before paying.
- Mobile app — Download the [email protected] Google Play Store app or an iOS/iPadOS [email protected] application. Register an account, tap Switch to unifi, and select a method of delivery after paying.
- TMpoint — TMpoint is nothing but an unifi store, outlet, or an authorized reseller. Use the Store Finder feature below to find it. Bring your NRIC (National Registration Identity Card) if you’re a resident or passport as a foreigner. If handed a tablet, tap the Switch to unifi Mobile Prepaid/Postpaid option at the counter. Otherwise, notify the clerk.
In all cases, you must use the old mobile network carrier until they send you a confirmation SMS. Settle any bills, try to use all credits, and conclude all contracts. Switching multiple prepaid lines must be done for each separately. Most importantly, use the same ID for both carriers.
MNP SMS and extra steps for porting to Unifi
The SMS for an MNP (Mobile Number Portability) request may look like this:
Please confirm your request to leave <carrier name>. Reply Y or N before dd-mm-yy hh:mm:ss (date and time).
After replying as instructed, you can swap SIM cards and put the Unifi one inside. It will be activated when the device is turned on. Note that postpaid unifi users may need to send an SMS to 63001 containing the words “unifi on” separated by a space and the DMP (check your order for that number). For instance, send “unifi on to 246891” to 63001. Type YES in the reply message when asked to confirm the request.
3. Contact Unifi Mobile Customer Service
If you run into issues with delivery or activation or feel inadequately tech-savvy to go through the porting process, reach out to Unifi in these ways:
- Use Maya — Unifi’s live chat AI, Maya, is ready to assist you in your language.
- Call — Dial 100 from local numbers, mobile and landline. Call +603 2241 1290 internationally. Working hours for technical assistance are 8 AM to 10 PM daily in Malaysian time.
- Store — Use the TMpoint Locator feature to find the nearest store.
- Mobile app – [email protected] apps are available for Android, iOS, iPadOS, and HarmonyOS. They have an inbuilt live chat feature.
- Social media — Unifi is on Facebook (@weareunifi) and Instagram and Twitter (@unifi).