Walmart is a well-known retail store chain but also permits the purchase and activation of SIM cards. Their former brand, Walmart Family Mobile, is an MVNO (mobile virtual network operator) that uses the T-Mobile network to provide cellular network services. They have the advantage of selling mobile devices and a wide variety of other items at the same place. Consequently, customers often realize the benefits and make an unplanned purchase of SIM cards with or without a smartphone or tablet. Those users, as well as customers who purposefully chose the provider need to know how to activate their Walmart SIM card. We will gladly help them all.
1. Activate a Walmart Family Mobile SIM card
Did you purchase a Walmart Family Mobile device and an accompanying SIM card? Regardless of the device in question, you should know that the carrier is no longer with Walmart. Though it started that way in 2010, back in 2016, Tracfone purchased the WFM brand, but they continued to use the T-Mobile mobile network. The rest remains unchanged—you can still only buy a pay as you go SIM card without a contract and purchasing a device. It’s worth noting that government programs frequently incentivize the purchase.
An extra benefit is that Walmart Family Mobile devices are unlocked, contrary to what many carriers in the United States do. With all that acknowledged, follow these steps to activate a SIM card provided by Walmart Family Mobile:
- Head to the Walmart Family Mobile SIM card Activation page.
- Select the device you purchased after logging in. You can also continue without buying one, as long as you have the Walmart Family Mobile Bring Your Own Phone SIM Kit.
- Enter the SIM card mobile phone number you got from WFM. It’s a red full-size SIM card the carrier delivered at the store or to your address.
- Note. If you ported your SIM card from another carrier, you can opt to keep your old number, so it likely won’t start with *890.
- After the system verifies the number, you have to pick a user plan. As mentioned, these are PAYG SIMs with monthly benefits. You can always upgrade later.
- The online activation form will guide you into inserting your SIM card or using an embedded SIM card. The SIM card will be activated shortly, but the number transfer procedure can stretch the wait for a few hours.
2. Activating SIM cards sold at Walmart
A lot of users confuse a Walmart SIM card with the one carrying their brand. To clarify, Walmart sells devices and kits from carriers such as AT&T, Tracfone, Boost Mobile, Metro, Cricket, Total Wireless, Net10, FreedomPop, Ultra Mobile, Visible, Consumer Cellular, and so on. Although they provide a description of procedures for some, the retailer chain’s activation page will merely point you to the official website to complete the activation.
Lucky for you, we provided guides for almost all of those in our “Guides” section. More importantly, we will cover them all shortly. To sum it up, although you can purchase a SIM card at Walmart unless the logo says so, the activation process is not tied to Walmart Family Mobile and you can’t complete it on Walmart’s website.
3. Contact Walmart Family Mobile Customer Support
WFM provides several ways to get in touch with their Customer Service:
- Text helpline — Send a text to 611611 and enter JOIN to begin communicating.
- Calling — WFM has two main Customer Care phone numbers available: (855) 638-1010 and 1-877-440-9758. These are usually available 8 AM – 11.45 PM EST all 7 days a week. They also have a specialized number, 1-866-806-1840, for Tech Support.
- Using USSD codes — Dial *611 to get in contact with them.