Belong is an Australian mobile network provider that stands out for delivering no-contract, high-data SIM cards that need to be activated. The company also provides NBN broadband internet services and draws users in by being an MVNO (Mobile Virtual Network Operator) of Telstra, which also owns it. That means this carrier employs a Telstra 3G and 4G network across the country, and instead of strings attached, offers a freeing experience and lots of mobile data on the go. However, as mentioned, due to Australian law, users must provide personal details before they can activate their Belong SIM card. Though the procedure is uncomplicated, that’s something we want to help with.
1. Activate a new Belong SIM card
Unlike some carriers that let you get away with clicking a single button, this mobile network provider is a tad more detailed in background checks. Nonetheless, the procedure is straightforward. When you order a SIM on the website, you must provide personal details to create a Belong user account. Since the carrier also sells no-contract SIM cards across Australia, if you picked up one of those, you need to register a Belong account to proceed. With that done, follow these steps:
- Visit Belong’s Activate SIM page.
- Click the Activate your SIM button next to “Ready to activate your Belong SIM?”
- Now, depending on the SIM card you got, select I’m activating a mobile plan or I’m activating a data plan.
- Sign in to your Belong account if you haven’t. Otherwise, you’ll be taken to the account panel page.
- Click the Connect button in the account dashboard.
- Follow the on-screen prompts and enter details such as name, address of residence, date of birth, and email address.
- On the payment page, enter the payment details to activate a plan you chose. Belong lets you pay with PayPal, Visa, and Mastercard.
- When the payment goes through, the carrier will send you a confirmation mail. You can insert the SIM already, and wait for the network signal to appear, which takes roughly 10 minutes.
Enable a replacement Belong SIM card
Have you lost, damaged, or destroyed your SIM card, and Belong sent you a new one? That’s great news since it means you get to keep the SIM card phone number, but the new one features a different chip. Hence, you need to go through the activation procedure for replacement Belong SIM cards:
- When the SIM arrives, insert it into your phone and turn it on.
- Head over to the website and sign in to your account.
- Find mobile services on the list and click the Manage button.
- Locate the option titled Activate replacement SIM.
- Follow instructions from there to complete activation.
2. Activating a SIM card ported from another carrier to Belong
After double-checking whether you have to pay cancellation fees, notify your old carrier of your plan to port your SIM card to another carrier. Keep the SIM active and inside the phone, i.e., don’t cancel services yet. Swing by the authorized partner stores, visit the same activation page, or use method 3 to contact Belong and provide these details:
- The mobile phone number you’re porting to Belong
- The type of service you had:
- Prepaid or pay as you go — In this case, the carrier will require you to provide a date of birth, which must be identical to the one you provided to the old carrier
- Postpaid — Prepare to provide the account number for your old mobile service, printed or emailed with a monthly bill
The carrier will now send an SMS containing the industry-standard 6-digit code named Pre-Port Verification (PPV) code, which the Australian law requires. After providing this code, you can set up your new account, choose a plan, and insert the SIM. Now you’ll have to wait between 4 hours (business hours, Monday to Friday 8 AM to 8 PM AEDT or AEST) or up to 36 hours if it’s Saturday, Sunday, international, or public holidays.
3. Contact Belong Customer Service
Despite the process being simple, things may not turn out smoothly. In those rare cases when you encounter problems, you can reach out to Belong Customer Support in these ways:
- Calling — Dial 1300 235 664 between 8 AM and 8 PM, Monday-Sunday. Prepare necessary bits of information such as the account number.
- Use live chat — If you already became a customer by ordering a SIM or paying, send a message to Belong after logging in. They will reply in roughly 2 hours, Monday-Friday, 9 AM-5 PM.
- Forward a social media message — Belong is available via Facebook (@BelongAU), Twitter (@belongau), and Instagram (@belongau_).