Rogers, operating as Rogers Communications, is a Canadian provider of media, home security, Internet, and mobile network services. Known for offering discounts on smart devices accompanied by their postpaid SIM card plans, they’re one of the main competitors to Freedom Mobile, Bell Mobility, and Telus Mobility. To one-up the competition, they also branched out. The carrier offers different mobile plans through their subsidiaries or flanker brands such as Rogers Wireless, Fido Solutions, and Chatr. While you likely noticed us talk about them in other articles, we’ll focus on the parent company this time. More precisely, how to activate a Rogers SIM card.
1. Activate a Rogers SIM card as a new user
Decided to become a Rogers user for the first time? We have all the answers you need to begin using this carrier’s services in no time. Here’s what to do based on the SIM card size:
Physical SIM card
You’re in luck because you have to do nothing but insert your SIM card and wait for the signal to come on. In rare circumstances, you may have to power your device off, then on. This is only valid if your SIM card is unlocked, or rather, your smartphone is. Seeing as how service providers in Canada are known for setting up a carrier lock, there’s no way to tell unless you purchased the smart device through Rogers. In fact, users report that even smart devices bought via Fido, Rogers’ flanker brand, don’t work with Rogers SIM cards.
Activating a Rogers eSIM is a similar story, except there’s a tiny bit more work involved. There are two primary ways to acquire one: visiting their physical store or calling Rogers. We explained how both work in method 3. If you chose the former, the clerk will perform the activation on the spot. Because you’re here, we’ll assume you picked the latter. In that case, check the Inbox of the e-mail address you provided. Once you have a QR code on-screen, follow these steps based on your operating system:
Activation of an embedded SIM from Rogers on Android works like this:
- Open Settings.
- Go to Network & Internet.
- Find the option titled Mobile network and tap the + sign next to it.
- When prompted with the question, “Don’t have a SIM card?” tap on Next.
- Take a picture of the QR code Rogers sent you.
- Optional. Go back to the Mobile network menu from step 3. Select your SIM card, and tap on Additional info to tweak settings.
- Toggle the switch next to Rogers eSIM profile to on.
Start by going to Settings as well. Then, follow these steps to activate a Rogers SIM card on iOS:
- Tap on Cellular (iOS 12.1 and later) or Mobile Data (older than iOS 12).
- Tap on Add Cellular Plan.
- Scan the QR code you received in an e-mail message.
Note. If you don’t want to go through the settings, and you use iOS 13 or later, you can also open your Camera app. Take a photo of the QR code, and you’ll get a notification stating “Carrier Cellular Plan Ready to Be Installed”. Tap it, and select the eponymous option within the “Settings” menu before tapping on Continue.
2. Activating Rogers SIM card as an active/returning user
Returning users, as well as those who lost or destroyed their SIM cards, must jump through a few extra hoops. Here’s what to do, whether you have a physical or eSIM:
- Visit the Rogers Sign In page.
- Log in with your username and password.
- Go to the Usage & Services section.
- Choose Wireless Usage.
- Select the SIM card phone number you want to switch.
- Tap or click on Change my SIM in the “Quick Links” portion of the page.
- Enter your old and new phone numbers one after another.
- Enter a 20-digit ICCID (Integrated Circuit Card Identification Number), found in this fashion:
- Click or tap on Continue.
- Click on Submit after double-checking the information is correct.
3. Contact Rogers Customer Support
This is the only method of activation of a Rogers pay-as-you-go SIM card. It’s also there should any problems with the two methods above arise. With that in mind, there are 4 ways to reach out to Rogers Customer Service:
- Visiting one of their stores. Use the Store Locator feature on their website. Click on Use My Location or enter one manually.
- Calling. You can reach Rogers by phone 24/7 by dialing 1 888 764-3771 from Canada or 1 514 734-7699 worldwide, after selecting option 3.
- Chatting. Head over to the Rogers Contact page. Click on Technical Support or General Inquiries. Select Wireless. Click on the Wireless link to start a web chat 24/7/365.
- Reaching out on social media. This Canadian carrier is available via Facebook Messenger (@Rogers) and Twitter (@rogershelp) 24/7/365 as well.
4. Purchase a pre-activated Rogers SIM card from a third party
The primary concern with all 3 methods above is that, unless you have a Canadian ID, passport, address, or payment information, you’ll have a hard time signing up for their services. While there are some workarounds for the United States credit cards, that still leaves the rest of the world.
The solution is to order an already activated SIM card but from a third-party reseller. There’s nothing shady going on — Rogers activates all SIM cards by default anyway. It merely bypasses the need to be a resident of Canada or provide your personal/payment information. In return, vendors charge a little extra for convenience. Nonetheless, inspect their reputation beforehand.