XOX Berhad and XOX Mobile are both names of a Malaysian MVNO (mobile virtual network operator). When they began operations in 2009, the mobile provider offered prepaid and postpaid SIM plans. However, from 2018 onward, they chose to maintain their prepaid SIM plan only, now called ONEXOX Prepaid. In 2019, they introduced embedded SIM functionality and started promoting a prepaid plan with distinct features, named ONEXOX Black. It never forfeits minutes, texts, or mobile data left at the end of the month, and instead carries them over to the next. But regardless of which of those you use, you should know how to activate an XOX SIM card. Let’s start.
1. Activate a new XOX SIM card via the BLACK app
First, we’ll clear one crucial thing up. We’ll then proceed to demonstrate the procedure in full.
Is activating an XOX eSIM card using the BLACK app possible?
Yes, the method for activating XOX embedded SIM is identical to the one for physical SIM cards. Because XOX is an MVNO, the entire process is done over the Internet. In both cases, you need to enter your personal information on their website. This includes forms of ID and payment method, choosing a payment plan, and selecting any of the available SIM card phone numbers.
One key difference
To complete the process successfully, you must scan a QR code, which the carrier sends to the e-mail address you provided. It’s also crucial that you specify the model of your smart device. Both of these are part of the eSIM card ordering process on their website. Long story short, you should have selected:
- XOX eSIM under “Select which plan type fits you the most”.
- eSIM Prepaid or eSIM Black under “Select Type for eSIM”.
- The device name from the drop-down list under “Select your mobile device”.
- E-mail Address and Confirm E-mail Address and entered it twice.
Steps to enable XOX SIM card via mobile app
Done everything we mentioned? Follow these 3 steps to complete the activation of a new XOX SIM card:
1. Install the app and reach the Activate screen
Start by downloading the BLACK app for Android or iOS. Then, do the following:
- Install and launch the app.
- You’ll be asked for the XOX phone number on the home screen.
- Ignore the request, even though you chose one. Don’t fret, you still hold a claim; it’s tied to the serial number below.
- Tap on the SIM card icon below.
- Put a checkmark to agree to the Terms and Conditions.
- Tap on the Activate SIM button.
2. Enter SIM card serial number
You’ve finally reached the activation screen. Proceed by utilizing one of the two available options:
- Scan barcode. This is only an option for the physical SIM card. Pick up the package you received from XOX and scan the barcode on the back using your smart device’s camera.
- Enter a SIM card serial number. This works for embedded and physical SIM cards alike and the number is typically around 19-digits. Here’s where to find it:
- Physical. On the back of the XOX SIM card kit, below the barcode mentioned in option 1.
- Embedded. In the message sent to the e-mail address that you entered when you ordered the SIM.
Tap the arrow icon in the bottom right corner to continue.
3. Provide information about yourself
You’re almost there. Now’s the time to confirm your identity like this:
- Under “Country”, select the country your ID belongs to.
- Under “Document Type”, select:
- Malaysian residents: Only MyKad can be used as a form of ID.
- Non-Malaysians: You’re limited to using their passport to verify personal information and finish activating.
- Tap the arrow in the bottom right corner again.
- When asked to scan the ID (NRIC), take a picture of its front and back side.
- On the next screen, enter additional information such as “Email Address” and “Mother’s Maiden Name”.
4. Let the AI recognize your face and you’re done
You’re at the penultimate step, but one that plays a key role. At the “Face Recognition” screen, tap on Scan and take a selfie. Ensure the lighting conditions are optimal, and there are no shadows on your face. As the selfie is compared with the ID picture, some users suggest adopting a similar hairdo, if possible. If it works, you’ll get a feedback message stating “Activation successful. Your new number can be used now.”
5. Scan the QR code (eSIM only)
Step 4 should be enough to let you use the BLACK app. However, the carrier also asks you to download the data needed to program the MOS chip of an embedded SIM. To do so, you must scan the QR code we mentioned at the beginning. There are 2 ways to do so:
- Open a Camera app with QR scanning functionality and point it at your screen.
- Add the phone through settings by following method 7 (“How to enable eSIM”) in our guide on fixing the “no SIM inserted” error.
Note. If you don’t get a prompt on an iOS device, go to Settings > Mobile Data (also titled Cellular on some OS versions) > Add Data Plan.
2. Activating an XOX SIM card after transferring your number
Switching carriers in favor of XOX? While you’ll go through the same steps as above, there are 4 key differences:
- Porting isn’t available with all carriers. You must’ve been able to select your current mobile operator on the list of nearly 20 when ordering.
- You cannot transfer your old phone number if has a 015 prefix.
- If you’re a Malaysian citizen, you must take a picture of your MyKad during the ordering process and oftentimes again while activating.
- Unlike new numbers, XOX may accept Armed Force ID as a form of identification.
3. Contact XOX Customer Service
Despite all your effort, you failed to start calling, texting, or using mobile data? You can always get help by getting in touch with XOX Customer Support by:
- Calling. Call 12273 from any active XOX mobile phone, 1300 888 010 within Malaysia, and +603-7800 0033 from outside the country.
- E-mailing. Send an inquiry using their Contact Us form.
- Chatting online. Click the floating icon in the bottom right corner on any page on their website.
- Social media. Send a message on Facebook and Instagram to @xoxmalaysia, and on Twitter to @XOX_Malaysia.